I am sure I have mentioned it before but it bears repeating because I just spent over an hour and half going through some of my mom’s pictures. About 12, 000 of them. And I am not exaggerating. I wish I was. For those of you that haven’t been following me long you may not know my mom died in September 2011.
One of the things that I have put off is going through her things. In this case, her pictures. She had a lot. When I first started going though them I didn’t want to get rid of any of them. They were her memories. But 4 1/2 years later they are just sitting and it is time. A few months back I got rid of some and I went through some more today.
And good god, mom! Who the fuck are all these people? Before I get into pictures of actual humans I will mention the non-human pictures. She has pictures of
- palm trees
- trees in various stages of life (saplings to massive oaks and dead trees with birds nests)
- neighbors dogs
- bouquets of flowers
- fish (dead and alive)
- food (wedding cakes, baby/wedding shower cakes, birthday cakes, fruit, vegetables, turkeys, pot roasts, muffins, marshmallows, buns, hot dogs, hamburgers, pickles)
- drinks (wine, margaritas, hot chocolate, milk shakes) not many in this category, she wasn’t a drinker.
- the floor
- the sky
- the lawn
- animals (lions, tigers, snakes, elephants, bears, kittens, camels, porcupines, skunks…)
- cement mixers
- jute boxes
- piles of bricks
- holes in the ground (big and small)
- cars (her own and every person she knew on a first names basis)
- decorations (birthday, Christmas, anniversary, Valentines day, Halloween..)
- swimming pools (kiddie and Olympic size)
- presents (before they were opened and afterwards for all holidays – see decorations)
- bodies of water
- wood piles
And then there is the whole category of humans. I am not kidding. There are thousands of pictures of people who I have no idea who the hell they are. Some I can make an educated guess but most of them I don’t know. Was she a spy? Did she have a whole other family that I didn’t know about? Were she and my dad swingers and these are pictures of people they met on their trysts?** Your guess is as good as mine because I have no clue. There are also about 1000 pictures of my (step) dad. She obviously thought he was a sexy specimen of a man because most of the pictures are him without a shirt. And then there are the baby pictures. She got the gold star for pictures of her grandbabies but she went beyond that. There are many, many pictures of babies. Whose are they? There are also pictures of people that she met on holidays including waiters, waitresses, hula dancers, chamber maids, bus drivers, pilots, receptionists, bell boys, cashiers, cab drivers and strangers she met along they way.
So the picture at the top is a very small amount of the pictures I am tossing today. This is about 5% of them.
**If you knew my mom you would know how impossible and funny this statement is.